A while back I started making my own art journal so I would have a place to try new techniques. The first part of making the journal can be found here. I finally managed to get it finished. I gathered all of my papers for the inside, which were comprised of vintage book pages, maps and watercolour/mixed media sheets. The papers were different sizes and I put them in different directions to add some interest.
I punched four holes through the cover with my cropodile to use as a guide. Then came the pages, a few at a time. I found two thick blue elastics (on my broccoli, good recycling :) and ran one through the top two holes, going from back to front so the loops were at the top. I did the same for the bottom two holes. In the interest of full disclosure, I did break one the first time pulling it through. I got a little over zealous, haha. I would also recommend running it through a few sheets at a time so they don’t tear. I then took a cool looking paint brush and slide it through the loops to hold it all together. You could use anything though, such as a stick for a more rustic look or an antique utensil for a vintage feel.
To finish it off I took out my Ranger Melting Pot…
I love encaustic so I wanted to try to get the look without all of the work. Since this journal is just for me, I thought I would experiment. So, I melted some soy wax chips and applied it to the surface. I think I put on about three layers with each layer going in the opposite direction. I love the cloudy look it gave to the cover and not to mention the texture it added.
But after a day or two, once it had completely dried, it cracked a bit :(
For this purpose, I really don’t mind but if you were working on something special, it would likely be an issue. Sometimes it doesn’t pay to take shortcuts. I still love the way it turned out, flaws and all. Nobody is perfect, so neither should our art be.